Christopher M. Hennessey
Chris represents businesses and individuals in all areas of litigation. He has significant trial and appellate level experience in state and federal courts in Massachusetts and New York. He has successfully represented clients on matters involving complex commercial litigation, business torts, employment claims, land use, environmental and intellectual property disputes.
Prior to the formation of Cohen Kinne, Chris worked with Cohen Kinne’s partners at Berkshire County’s oldest and largest law firm. Chris was previously dedicated to public service as a staff attorney with the New Hampshire Public Defender. As a public defender, Chris tried numerous cases before both judges and juries, representing defendants charged with various offenses including serious felonies. Chris also served as a law clerk to the Honorable C. Ian McLachlan of the Connecticut Appellate Court. In these roles, Chris gained a wealth of experience that helped him to develop a solid foundation as a litigator.
During law school, Chris earned a Masters of Law in Intellectual Property and he interned at the United States Patent and Trademark Office of the Solicitor and in the litigation department of a major motion picture studio in California.
- Tulane University, B.A.
- University of New Hampshire, J.D.
- University of New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce Center For Intellectual Property, LL.M., Intellectual Property
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Trademarks and Copyrights
- Internet Law and E-Commerce
- Wage & Hour
- Employment & Labor Relations
- Land Use
- Recently negotiated a settlement of $1,000,000 in a negligence-related case.
- Recently negotiated a settlement of $650,000 in a negligence-related case.
- After a lengthy trial in Berkshire Superior Court, obtained a jury verdict in the amount of $300,000, in a commercial landlord/tenant contract dispute.
- Obtained a judgment of adverse possession on behalf of a plaintiff in Berkshire Superior Court after trial.
- Successfully settled a construction dispute on behalf of a contractor after a jury trial commenced, where claims were in excess of $1,000,000.
- Negotiated a settlement of $180,000 in an employment misclassification Wage Act case after protracted federal court litigation.
- Successfully secured patent, trademark and copyright ownership rights for a corporation after trial.
- Litigated and negotiated favorable settlements in trademark and copyright infringement cases in federal District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction in an Internet-related trademark and copyright case in the federal District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Negotiated a settlement of $150,000 in a malpractice case brought in federal District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Chris has successfully litigated and settled many cases involving employment discrimination, wage claims, motor vehicle accidents and other serious injuries.
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star” – 2015-2016
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star” – 2014-2015
- Connecticut Appellate Court (McLachlan, J.)
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of New York
- State of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- Berkshire Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
In the Community
- Chris serves as a board member of the Massachusetts Performance & Asset Management Advisory Council. The Council assists in the development of a permanent statewide asset management system through the Department of Transportation.
- District Court Standards of Review in 35 U.S.C. § 145 Patentability Determinations, 43 IDEA 677 (2003).